Training Programs

DTS, 2nd and 3rd Level Training Programs

Do I need to do a DTS first before doing a second level school?

Yes. A 24 credit University of the Nations recognised DTS is a preliminary requirement before you can do other second level schools or join staff.

What does the schedule look like on a DTS?

Each day you will have activities such as morning exercises, family chores, lectures, work duties, (general duties around the base) and evening activities. There are also weekly corporate events such as the base worship, evangelism, and Thursday Night Meetings you will participate in. Your weekends may have some school activities but will generally be free for you to explore the city and have some study time. Learn more about DTS activities

Where will I stay during lecture phase?

We are an urban “walking campus,” so you’ll stay a short walk away from the main YWAM hub in shared accommodation with other students. Classes, meals and other events take place at our central facility. Newly built, our main property includes an in-house café, lounge spaces, library, wifi and more. We may be biased, but think our café’s coffee is amongst the best in the city!

Is outreach required?

Yes, successful completion of the outreach phase of your school is REQUIRED for all DTS’s and most second-level schools.

Where will I go for my outreach phase and how is that decided?

Your school leader will pray over options for outreach locations and these will be communicated early in the school, or beforehand if already set. Most DTS’s will have more than one option for you to pray about and some will go as one team on outreach. Some teams will serve in multiple locations on outreach and others may focus on one location for the whole three months. We have a significant focus on Asia, Africa and Australia but we can send teams anywhere in the world.

Are there opportunities for me to get involved with after completing my DTS in Perth?

Yes, you may continue onto further training programs or join staff here with us at YWAM Perth or at any of the YWAM bases around the world! Learn more about opportunities after DTS

Is there an age limit?

There is no age limit as such, DTS students just need to be old enough to have completed secondary school or high school. We do have certain DTS’s that are designed for certain age groups if you would prefer.

I have children, can I bring my family with me?

Yes. We believe that families, and not just individuals, have a calling in missions to serve together as a family. Please contact us for further details.

Is DTS offered in any other languages than English?

We offer bilingual DTS’s at various times. Let us know if you’re interested and we can give you more information. If your English skills are not sufficient to study in an English speaking environment please contact us and we will discuss options.

Can I get Austudy for any training with YWAM Perth?

All courses accredited with the Australian government are Austudy approved. Please check to see if the course for which you want to apply is accredited before making an application to Centrelink. You can refer to the Centrelink website for more information on applying for Austudy.
Further information and required documents for an Austudy applications will be provided upon acceptance.

What immunisations are required?

We encourage all staff and students to come with the appropriate updates on immunisations. These are the following:

  • Polio
  • Diphtheria
  • Tetanus

These updates are required every 10 years, if you are unsure of your last immunisation, check with your doctor. Please, for your own safety, ensure that you are up to date with these before coming to the lecture phase of your school so that you will be prepared in advance for your field assignment. For overseas field assignments we recommend that all staff and students receive further vaccines, these are the following:

  • Typhoid
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B

We encourage you to have these immunisations before joining us as vaccines are expensive and foreign students/staff pay more once they are in Australia. We may also be encouraging students and staff to take medicine to help prevent malaria and to use mosquito nets during the field assignment – this depends on the location of your field assignment. If you would prefer, you can bring malaria medication with you from home or we can purchase this for you here.

Application Process, Visa and OSHC

Things to know about the application process.

How can I apply for a DTS or a second level school?

You can apply online here or email us at [email protected] and we will send you information regarding the school you are interested in.

Do I need an English Test Score such as IELTS or TOEFL?

You do not need an English test score in order to apply to YWAM Perth, however Australian Immigration requires an IELTS or TOEFL test for certain nations to receive students visas (this excludes all level 1 nations). Please note we run a variety of courses in English/Korean but the majority is just in English, therefore you would need some English skills. If your English skills are not sufficient to study in an English speaking environment please contact us and we will discuss options.

Do I need a visa? How do I apply for a visa? What type of visa do I need?

If you are not from Australia, you will need to apply for an appropriate visa. Details regarding your visa will be communicated upon your acceptance to the school. Please do not apply for a visa until you have received your acceptance letter and instructions to do so.

Can I do a school if I am already in Australia on a working holiday visa?

In most cases, yes. We would need to know what visa you currently hold in order to know your visa conditions and see if you would be required to apply for a new one. Please inform the Registrar that you are already in Australia and also forward a copy of your visa so we can check your status.

Do I need to apply for health insurance?

Yes, all international students and staff will be required to have health insurance. For all student visas,  the Australian government requires that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before you can be granted a Student Visa. Our registrar will communicate the price to you and will organize your OSHC enrolment. For other visas, various insurance companies are accepted. This information will be provided by the registrar upon acceptance, and you will organize your enrolment. For more information about health insurance, please contact the Registrar at [email protected].

Fees and Payments

What you need to know about fees and payments

How do I pay the application registration fee?

The registration fee is paid with credit card as part of the registration process of our online applications. Click here to go to the online applications. If you have difficulties with the credit card payment please contact the Registrar at [email protected] or see “How and when do I pay my school fees?” below for more payment options.

How much does the school cost?

Fees for lecture phase range from $3,580 to $4,830 depending on which school you choose. Fees for the outreach phase range from $3,000 to $5,000 depending on location.
Fees include a non-refundable registration fee, visa, health insurance, lecture phase fees (includes tuition, accommodation, books, wireless internet access and food), some additional costs, and outreach phase fees. For more information, please contact our Registrar.

Are there any other costs associated with training?

If you are from overseas, you will need Australian health insurance and an applicable visa to study with us. Our registrar will guide you through this process and make sure you have all the details you need. Besides your ticket or transport here, there are a few other incidental costs which are all outlined in the information you’ll receive when you inquire.

How and when do I pay my school fees?

Your lecture phase fees should be paid before or on registration day (the first week of lecture phase).

Payment Methods

Credit Card
You can pay by credit card through our secure page on our website We accept Mastercard or Visa only. Please be aware that there is a 2% bank fee for all credit card payments.

Money Transfer
You are responsible for transfer fees, which will vary depending on your bank. Contact your bank for details. we can send you a bank transfer form on request. Please take into account the time for processing.

International Money Order or Cheque in Australian Dollars
You can use a personal cheque or international money order, but please note this is the slowest method of payment. Please take into account time for postage and processing. We suggest that it is made out in Australian dollars as there is no charge. If it is in any other major currency there is a bank fee of AUS$15 for cheques equivalent to AUS$200 – AUS$9,999. send your cheque or international money order, including a note letting us know your name and school enrolling in, to…

Registrar, YWAM Perth,
PO BOX 8501 Perth Business Centre,
Perth, WA 6849,

Your outreach phase fees are due during the lecture phase. Details regarding fees for outreach will be communicated to you by your school leader during the lecture phase.

Is financial assistance or scholarship available for students?

As all of our staff and students trust and rely on God for the finances they need to live and study, we are unable to provide discounts, financial assistance or scholarships. We firmly believe that God is our source of provision and believe in His faithfulness. We are privileged to stand in the place of prayer and partnership together and see the ways God provides!

Do you have any advice or material regarding fundraising?

Yes. Please see our Faith and Finances for more information.

Life at YWAM Perth

Housing, what to bring, about Perth.

Are housing and meals provided?

Yes. You will stay a short walk away from the YWAM base in shared accommodation with other students from your school and other schools. Living together in community is a great way to get to know people from diverse backgrounds and it is a lot of fun! We value community by eating together delicious sit-down meals (lunch and dinner) prepared by our kitchen ministry as a large family on base. Breakfast is provided for students at the YWAM base.

Will I have access to the internet?

The base offers unlimited internet to all students! If you want to access the internet during your time on the base you will have to bring your own laptop to connect with. If you are unable to bring a laptop yourself, it is quite likely you will find someone willing to lend you their computer.

What is Perth like? What is the weather like?

Perth is a beautiful city in Western Australia with a population of around 1.4 million people. The YWAM hub is just a short train or bus rides (within the free zone) or walk from the city center. The river and beaches are also easy to get to and from the base. The climate in the winter (June-September) can be rainy, windy and cold with temperature ranging from 5-20 C. In the summer (November-February) it is very hot and dry with temperature ranging from 25-45 C.

What should I bring with me?

CLOTHING: Apart from casual wear, bring one set of formal clothes for meetings, church and formal events. Many outreach locations do require a modest skirt/dress pants. Unless you want your casual clothes turned into work clothes we strongly suggest you bring these. There is a wide variety of duties and some are quite messy. For recreation clothes we suggest you bring shorts and runners. Bathing suits need to be modest i.e. full swim suits for girls (no bikinis), swim shorts for guys. For shoes; please bring casual, runners and dress shoes.

During winter it can get cold (June – September), so bring jeans, sweaters and a jacket. Remember outreaches may be in another climate so come prepared for different types of weather.

Please note: We have an international student body and as such need to consider a larger audience of cultures in our dress (what is OK in your culture might cause offence to someone from another).

BEDDING: You will have a bed during lecture phase, but you will need your own bedding (pillows, sheets, blankets, duvet/quilt, etc.) as none will be provided. A fitted sheet is required for all students.  Please bring this with you unless you prefer to buy it when you get to Perth. There will be times on outreach where you may not have a bed and will be sleeping on the ground; you may therefore want to bring a sleeping bag and suitable air mattress/mat/Therma-rest with you, though these can also be readily purchased in Perth.

With regard to personal items, please bring whatever articles of clothing, etc. that you need, limiting it to one large hiking backpack or suitcase. You will have some space under your bed, 2‑3 shelves in a cupboard and a small amount of wardrobe space. Our storage is limited, meaning you will need to be able to carry everything with you during the outreach phase. There is no storage space provided on base for your things while you are on outreach.

If you are planning on bringing a car please let us know. Please be advised that due to parking restrictions there is no personal parking available at the base. Where ever you chose to park your car, you do so at your own risk. We aim to have all of our accommodation located within walking distance from the YWAM base. Public transportation is easy accessible and can take you throughout the city.

You may not bring animals of any sort.

Can I bring my family? What are the costs?

Yes, we welcome families! We believe that families, and not just individuals, have a calling in missions to serve together as a family. Please let us know if you are planning on bringing your family. Please also note that school aged children will need to be enrolled in schooling as a condition of your visa. More information regarding costs, accommodation and education for children can be provided by the Registrar.

How far will I be from the beach?

The ramp to our local train station is 54.5 seconds walk from the front door of the YWAM Perth base. From here you are in the centre of the city or at the beach after a short ride. It’s also only a quick walk from the base to the riverfront, sports facilities, city centre, shopping facilities, fast food and cafés.