63 Things I Love About Discipleship Training School
There is so much to love about Medical Discipleship Training School (DTS) at YWAM Perth. With focuses on learning about God, living in community, and reaching out to the nations, there are so many good things happening here. It’s nearly impossible to pick just one thing to share! Here are 63 things I love (so far) about student life at YWAM Perth.
1. Morning tea.
2. Watching the sunrise. Every day.
3. Grace to wake up at 5:30 in the morning. EVERY DAY.
4. Learning more about medicine as a practical way to love people.
5. Lectures on my favourite subject of all time (God).
6. Book reports on books that I actually want to read.
7. Learning with people from all over the world.
8. Seeing the ways God led all of us here individually.
10. Australian accents.
11. Spanish accents.
12. Being able to practice my Spanish.
13. Helping others practice their English.
14. Really good public transportation.
15. Mark 16:15 – And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.“
16. Matthew 28:19 – Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
17. When colouring counts as homework.
18. When creativity is an integral part of assignments.
19. Hearing from God in dreams.
20. Hearing from God in scripture.
21. Hearing from God through other people.
22. Hearing from God in nature.
23. Sunshine, even though it’s winter.
24. Wearing scarves (it’s still cold).
25. Rain here and there, to remind me of home.
26. God’s faithfulness.
27. God’s humility.
28. Remembering the impacting truth that Jesus was BORN. Like, passed-through-the-birth-canal born.
29. Psalm 103:14 – For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.
30. Psalm 91:14 – Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name.
31. Interdependence instead of independence.
32. Allowing God to lead each step of the way – it’s like following a treasure map!
33. Dreaming with God about the future.
34. Living by the loveliest park in all of Perth.
35. Living with the 10 loveliest ladies in all of Perth.
36. Living within walking distance of the loveliest cafes in all of Perth.
37. Using my social media and photography skills to manage our class’ Facebook page.
38. Oatmeal – I mean, porridge – for breakfast – er, brekky.
39. Seriously, so much tea.
40. Inspiration on the daily from all different sources.
41. John 11 – the resurrection of Lazarus. SO COOL.
42. Romans 8:12-14 – we are sons of God.
43. Hebrew & Greek word studies.
44. Asking the BIG questions.
45. Expanding the boundaries of who we perceive God to be.
46. Responding to the expansion of those boundaries in worship.
47. Worship times twice – or more! – a week.
48. Worship & prayer in all different languages.
49. Knowing that I’m family with all 500+ people on base who speak in all different languages.
50. Free time to explore.
51. Free time to go on runs.
52. Being strengthened & healed to be able to run.
53. The most visually inspiring walks around the city.
54. Good conversations during visually inspiring walks around the city.
55. Experiencing the culture of the city.
56. Encountering more unique, buggy members of creation.
57. Tim Tams.
58. My yellow quilt.
59. Letters & packages from back home, and all over the world.
60. Taking up the authority we’ve been given in Christ.
61. Watching the power of Jesus transform people.
62. Reality settling in that I’ll be heading two India & Africa in a matter of weeks!
63. Knowing that God will provide the finances to go in those few weeks.
This story was first published on Leanne Miller’s personal blog and we’ve adapted it slightly to fit our website magazine.